Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A lovely Weekend !



We've had a really smashing weekend in London ! We went over the Easter weekend, the weather was lovely. We did all the touristy things, it was great !
I haven't been to London for years. Went quite alot when I was a student, but , that was some years ago. It seems so much brighter and cleaner now, probably due to much of the wonderful architecture having had a clean up.
My girls loved it ! Traveling on the tube, open top bus ride etc. The Tower of London was great, and my eldest being keen on the Tudor history was full of enthusiasm. I'm so glad we went !














Back home to good weather here too, and the busy Spring planting on the farm. Tired husband !



I have been painting with a class of 11 year olds. They have a project about painting flowers. Their teacher wants them to use the school water colour paints that they find rather boring. They want to use thicker acrylic/poster paints. I tried to explain how watercolours work, and using the school paints, did a sort of grid to show how the colours influence each other when you paint over one with another colour. I think this is what frustrates them, ie you can´t paint a clear/bright yellow flower ontop of a dark green without the yellow flower becoming slightly green and less intense ! So I tried to explain how they should plan for this, work from light to dark.
Also showed some exciting effects with salt crystals, and candle wax in an attempt to make the idea of painting with watercolours a little more exciting ! I hope it worked
I started a painting with them, and managed to make a complete "pigs ear" of the daffodil !

2 comments:

love.boxes said...

I like your "pig's ear" daffodil. I would love to learn watercolor. I think it's one of the prettiest, but for me the most difficult medium to work in. Cool grid too! Love that, it's fascinating.

Joanna said...

Daffodils are so hard to paint. I think they are the trickiest thing ever and you have done a brillient job. It took me years to think water colour was exciting so can understand what they where thinking. I think its really differcult in school the paints will not be great and it will be tempting not to let things dry, a hair dryer helps that a little. I'm sure you did a really good job and inspired them though.

Glad to see you had a great time in London, if you are ever in England and near us please feel you can pop by.